Friday, April 1, 2011

Best. Week. Ever.

I loved this week. Absolutely Loved it.

I learned a lot about Love. One of the YW's told a story of his mother and how he'd felt her presence out on the trail. He later read in one of her letters that she'd had a dream that same night where she came to him while he was out in the desert and kissed his forehead.
As he told me that story I felt a small fraction of the love that mother had for her son and also of the love that son had for his mother.
I watched him later ask for a copy of the Book of Mormon from an LDS YW and he started reading it. He read like crazy. He even made a leather case for the book. He later pulled it out in front of the nurse and she nonchalantly asked if he'd seen the Promise. His eyes got wide open as he thirsted for whatever information she was about to provide. She directed him to the last two paragraphs of the introduction of the Book of Mormon and to the scripture found in Moroni 10:3-5. He ran right off to go see what it said.

I learned a lot about Faith. "I'm not sure if I want to go on a mission," he said. This particular young man had gone through more experiences with drugs and near death experiences because of the drugs than I could even imagine. He had all of these experiences yet he was the most humble, loving, caring, dedicated person I've met in a very long time. He kept on track, he didn't let his guard down. The poor kid didn't want to leave ANASAZI because he still had to deal with some consequences when he returned home. I know he'll be made better for them, though. So I wanted to challenge this YW to pray to know whether or not he should serve a mission... as we talked though, I felt impressed to just have him pray about his own personal testimony. Did Jesus Christ really make it possible for us to overcome? Did Christ restore the power to act in His name to a living prophet today?
He said he would ask.
I later learned that he told another TrailWalker that he didn't know if he wanted to go on a mission because he himself wanted to be converted first. I know if He asks an answer will be given, and then once you know, you want to tell EVERYone. Oh, faith.

I learned about Hope. "I don't know if there's a Creator. There's a 50-50 change, right?... it's better to be safe then sorry." He knew that a belief in something made people live better lives. He wanted to believe in something but he wasn't sure what. Questions were coming like crazy this week, though. "What do Mormon's believe?" "Why are there so many Missionaries?" "Why do you want everyone else to belong to your religion?" That last one made me laugh. Speaking of laughing, this kid was the most hilarious person I think I've ever met in my entire life. He made me laugh SO hard. I almost peed my pants. ...or I kind of did pee my pants. He almost convinced me in a game of Mafia that I myself was the mafia, and not him. That's probably how I got so dirty this week; groveling in the dirt for my life in that game. But, anyway, this week was a turn around point for him. He started questioning life and wondering what there was to believe in. He even said he refused to do anymore drugs. He wants to change his life around and he wants something to help him. I asked him if he'd prayed before... he said no. I asked him if he would. He said yes. "Just pray to whoever you think is out there. Ask if someone is there, ask Him who He is. Bring a piece of paper with you and just write everything that comes to your mind because I know you'll receive an answer," I said. He said he would.

We had a good hiking week this week. It was pretty easy besides the mountain we had to go over that rose 1000+ feet into the sky. We hiked up that sucker and then planned to dry camp that night (no water, no fire). That night, which had the potential of being fairly difficult, ended up being one of the best nights of my life. We got in our sleeping bags after watching the most breath-taking sunset of bright reds and oranges over a landscape of rolling hills and mountains hundreds of miles away.
As we talked in our sleeping bags one thing led to another and we soon were standing up ready for a game of Worm Wars. About 5 minutes later there was a huge pile of sleeping bags with little tiny heads popping out in random places. I got a good AB workout that day from laughing so hard.
We got to lay on our backs that night and watch as the stars appeared in the sky one by one. Then we talked about the universe and how it would be impossible for there not to be other forms of life out there somewhere.
We then started singing to each other and "If you could hie to Kolob" (or another good version) came out from one of the trailwalkers. Perfect.

This week I learned of a few things that I'm lacking and of a few things that I need to do. There's a lot to do.

Oh, and Conference is this week. Watch it.

I've been thinking a lot about truth and how it is found everywhere, but then how the authority of God is only given to those whom He has called like the Prophets of old. The prophets hold the keys to access His power. That is where you can access the whole miracle.
I need to access and use it consistently or I will be of no help to those I come in contact with.

I, yet again, learned a ton this week. Another "best week ever" has now come to a close.

2 comments: